$16bn Obasanjo Spent On Power Project Will Be Probed, Says Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated his resolve to probe the $16billion spent on the failed power project by the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Buhari said his government would do everything possible to recover the money and uncover those behind the scam.

He stated this on Tuesday while speaking in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, during the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign rally.

Although he did not mention Obasanjo, Buhari said: “The previous government mentioned on their own that they spent $16billion on power, but you are better witnesses than myself; where is the power? Where is the money? We will follow them; eventually, God willing, we will catch them and get our money back.”

Read Also  APC chieftain, Anumaka reveals why Buhari 'abandoned' Gov. Okorocha

The Nigerian government was reported to have spent N16billion on power projects between 1999 and2007 when Obasanjo was in power.

Meanwhile, Kehinde Akinyemi, the media aide to Obasanjo, says his principal is ready for the probe and would make himself available anytime.

Akinyemi said: “It is no more news. We are already expecting that. Since last year, Baba (Obasanjo) had said he would make himself available for the probe.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: