A monitoring group reported on Friday that 955 civilians, including 219 children, have been killed in fighting in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo in the past three months.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in Beirut that the victims had been killed in tit-for-tat attacks by regime forces and opposition rebels in Aleppo since April 22 when violence in the city escalated.
The report said that the dead included 563 people killed in airstrikes and shelling by the regime on the city’s rebel-held areas.
It said that the retaliatory shelling attacks by opposition forces on regime-controlled areas in Aleppo during the same period left at least 356 civilians dead.
The watchdog added that 23 other people were killed by rebel shelling on the Kurd-held neighbourhood of Sheikh Maksoud in the northern section of Aleppo.
“Thirteen more people were killed in other incidents of violence in the city.
On Sunday, regime forces took control of Castello Road, the only supply route into rebel-held areas in eastern Aleppo, raising fears about a humanitarian crisis for thousands of residents there.
Once Syria’s commercial hub, Aleppo has been divided between the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the west and rebels in the east since fighting erupted for control of the city in mid-2012. (dpa/NAN)