The European Commission has urged the United Nations to prepare a proposal for political transition in Syria.
The commission said on Thursday in a statement issued in Brussels that the call has become imperative because the conditions on ground in Syria are deteriorating.
It said that the proposal should be based on the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and input given by the Syrian parties.
The commission said that the proposal should serve as the starting point for future direct negotiations” to be organised by UN Special Envoy, Staffan de’Mistura.
It therefore called for urgent negotiations led by the U.S. and Russia to create “intra-Syrian talks” to end the conflict.
Meanwhile, Syrian regime forces backed by Russian airstrikes have recaptured the hills and villages on the outskirts of south-western Aleppo from rebel groups.
Rami Abdel-Rahman, Head of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said on Thursday in a statement in Damascus that the regime has been launching a counterattack on areas captured by rebels in the last two days.
“Since the attack began and until Tuesday midnight, 40 civilians have been killed on both sides of Aleppo, among them 22 children.
He added that 50 rebels and dozens of regime troops have been killed since the assault began Sunday.
The Syrian state-run radio has confirmed that the regime troops have started a “wide-scale counterattack” against rebels in south-west Aleppo.
It said that there are tit for tat attacks in all areas across south-western Aleppo, amid dozens of Russian strikes on areas which were taken by the rebels.
The media noted that the rebels’ offensive was aimed at capturing the district of Ramousseh in south-western Aleppo to cut off a supply route for government troops and open a new passage to the rebels’ side of Aleppo.
“Last month, eastern Aleppo witnessed its heaviest blow since rebels seized control in 2012.
“Regime forces backed by Russian airstrikes blocked Castello Road, the enclave’s last route to the outside world,’’ it said.