Two Islamic State loyalists have on Monday pleaded guilty to eight counts of attempted murder over a grenade attack last month at a bar outside Kuala Lumpur.
Roslan Mat-Nor, Government Prosecutor, said that the two men would each face up to 14 years in prison, while their sentencing was scheduled for Sept. 21, and the men were denied bail.
Eight people were injured in the June 28 grenade explosion at the Movida Bar and Lounge in Petaling Jaya during a live Euro 2016 broadcast, the first confirmed attack by Islamic State loyalists in Malaysia.
He said that the two were also charged with terrorism, which has a maximum penalty of 30 years imprisonment, for propagating Islamic State ideology.
Mat-Nor said that they did not enter a plea for that charge, and a separate trial was set for Sept. 26.
Malaysia’s Home Affairs Ministry disclosed that Malaysian police had been relentless in their crackdown against Islamic State supporters, charging dozens of suspected loyalists in courts.
The ministry said that nearly 100 Malaysians are believed to have traveled to Syria and Iraq to fight alongside Islamic State militants. (dpa/NAN)