A German Court on Tuesday handed a life sentence to a 33-year-old security guard who admitted to abducting, sexually abusing and murdering two boys, one of them a 4-year-old Bosnian refugee.
The court in Potsdam (Germany) handed Silvio S, whose full name was withheld due to privacy laws, that was the maximum sentence for his crimes, which shocked the country last year and drew attention to the chaotic conditions at the refugee registration centre in Berlin from where the boy was abducted.
The prosecutor said that S was arrested in October after police found the body of 4-year-old Mohamed in the man’s car.
He said that the man’s mother alerted the authorities after seeing high-resolution closed circuit television footage of him.
The prosecutor said that S admitted to abducting the child outside the Lageso refugee registration centre in northern Berlin.
“He then sexually abused him in his car and subsequently strangling him to death with a belt.
He said that the disappearance of Mohamed, whose family came to Germany in 2014 to seek asylum, triggered a large-scale police search and drew significant media attention.
The prosecutor noted that this was because of Lageso’s perceived inability to register and adequately house arriving migrants.
He said that S later admitted to abducting a 6-year-old German boy, Elias, several months earlier from a playground outside the boy’s home in the city of Potsdam.
He said he sexually abused the boy before killing him and burying his body in a garden allotment.
The man, who has no prior convictions, has been deemed criminally liable.
Investigators said that he planned the crimes meticulously and practised with dummies, which were later found in his home. (dpa/NAN)