No fewer than 14 pregnant women have been barred from performing this year’s hajj by the Zamfara State Hajj Commission.
The Chairman of the Commission, Alhaji Abubakar Sarki-Fawa made the disclosure on Monday in Gusau in an interview with newsmen.
He said that the decision to bar the women was to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations guiding pilgrims set by the National Hajj Commission and the Saudi authority for this year’s hajj.
He said that any intending pilgrim with health challenges or other related offences would also be stopped.
Sarki-Fawa warned intending pilgrims to avoid taking unwanted materials or foods to Saudi Arabia, even as he urged them to be good ambassadors of the state.
He said that more than 2,000 out of the 4,001 intending pilgrims from the state who wished to perform this year’s hajj had been transported to Saudi Arabia.
“As I am talking to you, we have screened those to be transported by the fifth and sixth flights.
“We are taking them to Sultan Abubakar III International Airport Sokoto today for their transport to Saudi Arabia,’’ he said.
The chairman appealed to officials of the commission and their counterparts from the 14 LGAs of the state who would assist the intending pilgrims to perform their duties effectively.